In May 2011 Department of Veterans’ Affairs entered into a new arrangement with five national providers of mobility equipment, one of whom was Allianz Global Assistance.

Friendlies Mobility are delighted to announce that we are a preferred supplier and service partner to Allianz Global Assistance, for the provision of product and services for the DVA RAP (MFS) Program we service the region westward from Ipswich to far western Queensland, and from the NSW/Qld border north into the Burnett region.

Alternatively, RAP orders can be faxed direct to Allianz 1800 653 556. All therapists are more than welcome to call the Allianz’s Mobility and Rehabilitation team direct on 1800 611 842 or via email to [email protected] for further information.

Prescribers are invited to contact the staff at Friendlies Mobility to discuss appropriate equipment and to arrange trials of equipment. RAP forms can be submitted to Friendlies Mobility via fax: 46385132 email: [email protected] , or simply go to Allianz’s dedicated RAP Program at www.mobilityservices.com.au where you can register and place orders for your favourite products.


Be sure to tick the Allianz box in the list of providers, and make reference to Friendlies Mobility and Independent Living on the RAP form if you wish Friendlies Mobility to supply the piece of equipment. If you have any question or queries regarding equipment or eligibility please contact us on 46371899.

How we can help you

A few examples of aids or appliances that can be prescribed within the program include: wheeled walkers, beds (hospital) , chairs (high back, lift), lifting hoists and showering or toileting aids, power and manual wheelchairs and mobility scooters; we can also assist with home modifications to assist in your disability.

If you are a veteran you will need to get a referral from a suitably qualified allied health professional before we are able to supply it to you. Examples of allied health professionals include, Occupational Therapists (OT), Physiotherapists or registered nurses.

Your Local Medical Officer (GP) can provide the necessary referral (D904) to the most appropriate allied health professional who can assess your current clinical need for RAP aids and appliances and offer advice.

Factsheet HSV107 - Rehabilitation Appliances Program


This Factsheet provides information about the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP) including who is eligible, what aids and appliances are available and how to access them.

What is RAP?

RAP helps eligible members of the veteran community to be independent and self-reliant in their own homes. Health care assessments and the provision of aids and appliances help to minimise the impact of disabilities, enhance quality of life and maximize independence. RAP provides equipment according to each persons assessed clinical need as part of the overall management of their health care.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible if you have an assessed clinical need for an aid or appliance and are a:

  • Gold Card holder
  • White Card holder (only for conditions accepted by DVA as related to service); or
  • Veteran from an allied country (only for conditions accepted by DVA as related to service).

How do I access RAP?

Your needs will be assessed by your doctor or a health professional, such as an occupational therapist. Their referral and prescription will be sent to an appropriate supplier or DVA to arrange issue of the item to you.

Can I receive aids and appliances if I live in a Residential Aged Care Facility?

You can be provided with RAP aids and appliances if you live in Australian Government funded aged care facilities, depending on the level of care you receive.

DVA can provide RAP aids and appliances that the Australian Government funded aged care facility is not legally required to supply if you are receiving a lower level of care.

DVA cannot supply RAP aids and appliances if you are receiving a greater level of care in
an Australian Government funded aged care facility. The threshold for a person requiring a
greater level of care within a residential aged care facility is as described in paragraph 7(6)(a) of the Quality of Care Principles 2014. This will generally be a person who is identified as having a high domain category in any one Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) domain or a medium domain category in at least two ACFI domains.

Approved providers of Australian Government funded aged care services must provide care and services as specified under the Aged Care Act (1997) and Quality of Care Principles (2014). Schedule 1 of the Quality of Care Principles (2014) lists the care, services, aids and appliances that must be provided to all residents who need them.

RAP items can be taken with you if you move from a lower level of care to a greater level of care (as described in paragraph 7(6)(a) of the Quality of Care Principles 2014), with the approval of your aged care provider. DVA will still be responsible for the repair, maintenance and replacement of these items. My Aged Care has been established by the Australian overnment to help you navigate the aged care system. For more information, call My Aged Care on 1800 00 422 or visit the My Aged Care website at www.myagedcare.gov.au

What aids and appliances are available under RAP?

There is a wide range of aids and appliances offered on the RAP National Schedule of Equipment, which is available on the RAP Schedule and Guidelines page of the DVA website at www.dva.gov.au/providers/provider-programmes/rehabilitation-appliances-programrap

The following are only some examples of more than 270 items on the Schedule.

1. Home modifications and household adaptive appliances

DVA will pay for home modifications and household appliances if you have an assessed clinical need. By providing this service, we hope you can continue living in your own home with:

  • improved independence and safety
  • reduced need for a carer
  • lower likelihood of moving away from your family, friends and community; and
  • reduced risk of falls.

What else do I need to know about home modifications and household adaptive appliances?

  • Home modifications will only be provided for one residence.
  • You do not need to own your home, but the owner must confirm you have been, or will be, a long-term resident.
  • The owner must approve all modifications in writing and agree that DVA will not restore the property to its former state when the modifications are no longer required.
  • DVA will only pay for home modifications completed by licensed builders.
  • DVA will not pay for repairs or maintenance to your home.

2. Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP)

You can get CPAP equipment from DVA if you have obstructive sleep apnoea. A CPAP machine may help you breathe more easily during sleep. When the supplier receives the prescription from your doctor or health professional, they will:

  • contact you to arrange delivery of your CPAP equipment
  • fit you with a face mask
  • show you how to operate your equipment
  • give you instructions about the proper care and use of your equipment; and
  • provide you with their contact details.

3. Personal Response Systems (PRS)

PRS, also known as Emergency Alarm Systems (EAS) or Personal Emergency Alarm Systems (PEAS), enable you to seek assistance quickly in an emergency. Intercom systems, sound monitors and mobile and portable/cordless phones are not classed as PRS and are not paid for by DVA.

Frequently Asked Questions about RAP

Can I get my aid or appliance delivered?
Yes, aids and appliances will be delivered to your home and the freight charges will be covered by DVA.

What about repairs or replacement of my equipment?
Contact the supplier or DVA if your equipment needs to be replaced or repaired.

What if I no longer need my equipment?
If you do not need the equipment anymore, contact the supplier to arrange its collection.


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position, e.g. retirement, on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA relating to complex or important matters.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries
Metro Phone: 133 254 *
Regional Phone: 1800 555 254 *
Email: [email protected]
DVA Website: www.dva.gov.au
Factsheet Website: factsheets.dva.gov.au
* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.